Fire Ant Allergy Symptoms and Treatment

Fire Ant AllergyFire ants are not native to the United States. This may be the reason that so many United States residents have not heard of the infamous fire ant allergy. You will know immediately if you have fire ant bites as they have sharp pinchers that grab hold of your flesh. Soon after being bit, you may start to have an allergic reaction.

The fact is that nearly everyone is technically allergic to fire ants. They release a potent venom that causes red itchy bumps on skin, at a minimum. In others, a single bite from a fire ant can be quite lethal. These are the only people that have a real fire ant allergy.

Since you will likely know that you have been bitten as soon as it occurs, you can take an antihistamine over the counter medication and treat the bite wound with some anti-bacterial cream. This will prevent an infection from developing. You will also need to continue to take this antihistamine over the course of the next day or two to prevent further swelling.

Fire ants cause a histamine reaction in many people. What this means is that an insect bite rash will occur, and it may even become extremely swollen. If your fire ant allergy bite wound itches, burns and swells a bit, you should consider yourself quite lucky. There are people that have died within a few hours of being bitten by a fire ant.

As fire ants can only survive in warmer climates, you should be particularly weary of them during the summer months. Additionally, people living in the South or the Western part of the United States are more at risk of being bitten by a fire ant.

If it is found that you have a serious fire ant allergy, you will probably be rushed to a hospital. Strong medicines will be used to stop the swelling, which could spread to your throat and cause you to suffocate. Strong reactions to fire ants usually occur when you are bitten by more than one of them. As they tend to live and travel together, fire ants are most dangerous when they are found in groups.